12.15.2011

A Song That Hits Home


I've stated before my love for Florence. This woman is phenomenal and truly needs no introduction. I'm enjoying her newest album, Ceremonials. This song is called Only If For A Night. I'm loving it because not only is is beyond beautiful but because it hits home to me.


And the grass was so green against my new clothes,
And I did cartwheels in your honor.
Dancing on tiptoes, 
My own secret ceremonials,
Before the service began.
In the graveyard, doing handstands. 

And I heard your voice, as clear as day
And you told me I should concentrate
 It was all so strange and so surreal
That a ghost should be so practical
 Only for a night.

I've read a few times that this song is about Florence's grandmother who passed away (suicide, actually). This song is about seeing her Grandmother's ghost coming back for a night. It's a bittersweet moment, causing Florence to celebrate that she has her back "only if for a night".

The reason I have such a meaningful connection to this is because I have many loved ones that have left me too early that I would do anything to see them again.... only if for a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Make sure to leave your blog URL so I can come say "Hello!"

xo Sammy

Blogging tips