11.17.2011

Mini Breakfast Stackers

I often find myself struggling to stomach breakfast. It's not that I don't like breakfast foods, I just can't eat early in the morning. Also, I usually hit snooze until the very last minute so I don't have enough time to whip up some glorious feast. I found this recipe online once and using my (foggy) memory I whipped up a breakfast that lasted me the whole week. I will call them: Mini Breakfast Stackers.
before

6 cups of potatoes (recipe calls for Bliss, I used what I had on hand: Yukon Gold), uncooked
9 oz Spinach, uncooked, baby-variety (about 1 1/2 cups after cooking)
1 1/2 cup of cheese, ricotta, part-skim
3 large eggs, raw, beaten
2 tbsp chives, fresh, chopped
6 slices of Canadian-bacon, uncooked, quartered
1 cup cheese, mozzarella, shredded or cut into cubes, low-fat

1. Preheat oven to 350* F. Place muffin liners in a 12-hole muffin tin.
2. Wash and steam potatoes until just done or slightly underdone, about 10 to 15 minutes; cool immediately. Slice each potato into four rounds; set aside. 
3. Wash and steam spinach until just wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes; cool, drain well, squeeze out any remaining water and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, eggs, and chives. 
5. Place a middle slice of potato in the bottom of the muffin hole so it lays flat. Top each with a quarter-slice of bacon, 1/2 tbsp of ricotta cheese mixture, about 2 tablespoons of spinach, about a tablespoon of mozzarella cheese (or one cube), another bacon quarter, and another 1/2 tablespoon of ricotta mixture. Finish off the stacks by placing another potato slice on top and sprinkling the remaining cheese on top. 
6. Bake stacks until fully set and ricotta is cooked through, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in muffin tins for about 10 to 15 minutes and then transfer to racks to continue cooling.

 
after, mmm
I like to eat one with a big bowl of oatmeal, or an apple with peanut butter. Tasty, tasty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Make sure to leave your blog URL so I can come say "Hello!"

xo Sammy

Blogging tips